New update of Solaris 11, how is it?
Edward Martinez
2011-10-04 18:43:17 UTC
I am trying to install it over the Solaris 11 2010
version.
Since solaris 11 ea is meant for companies that are Gold members and not really meant for the general public like solaris 11 express is. I think image-update from solaris 11 express to solaris 11es is not supported.
Edward Martinez
2011-10-04 18:56:48 UTC
I am trying to install it over the Solaris 11 2010
"generate-sc-profile completed" and the progress bar
shows 99%.
The 'Brag' screen is still cycling. I will let it run
for another hour or so and if it doesn't finish,
I'll have to boot from the Solaris 11 rpool mirror to
recover.
Has anyone seen this problem and is there a
work-around?
--ron
More: alan_pae, you are correct. The ea version does
not write to disk. I rebooted from the hung
installation screen and the machine came up to the
original Solaris 11 2010.11. I did not have to change
boot disks. Guess Ill wait until the "real" Solaris
11 is released.
--ron
age was edited by: halstead
Good news, seems like solaris 11 Ga is slated for November, hopefully on the eleventh. I guess i will continue using solaris 11 express until nov.

clip:
Oracle is showcasing Oracle Solaris 11 at Oracle OpenWorld this week,
ahead of its planned release in November of this year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oracle-previews-oracle-solaris-11-at-oracle-openworld-2011-10-04
Glynn Foster
2011-10-04 20:33:03 UTC
Post by Edward Martinez
I am trying to install it over the Solaris 11 2010
version.
Since solaris 11 ea is meant for companies that are Gold members and
not really meant for the general public like solaris 11 express is.
I think image-update from solaris 11 express to solaris 11es is not
supported.
This is correct. We will hope to be able to support 2 upgrade paths to
Oracle Solaris 11

- Oracle Solaris 11 Express to Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Early Adopter to Oracle Solaris 11

Glynn
Ian Collins
2011-10-04 20:47:05 UTC
Post by Glynn Foster
Post by Edward Martinez
I am trying to install it over the Solaris 11 2010
version.
Since solaris 11 ea is meant for companies that are Gold members and
not really meant for the general public like solaris 11 express is.
I think image-update from solaris 11 express to solaris 11es is not
supported.
This is correct. We will hope to be able to support 2 upgrade paths to
Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express to Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Early Adopter to Oracle Solaris 11
That second one's good to know, thanks Glynn.
Ian.
Alan Coopersmith
2011-10-04 21:32:04 UTC
Post by Ian Collins
Post by Glynn Foster
Post by Edward Martinez
I am trying to install it over the Solaris 11 2010
version.
Since solaris 11 ea is meant for companies that are Gold members and
not really meant for the general public like solaris 11 express is.
I think image-update from solaris 11 express to solaris 11es is not
supported.
This is correct. We will hope to be able to support 2 upgrade paths to
Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express to Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Early Adopter to Oracle Solaris 11
That second one's good to know, thanks Glynn.
The technical problem with upgrading from S11 Express to S11 EA is that
the version of pkg included in snv_151a doesn't know how to deal with
some of the new package information found in the snv_173 packages,
especially around dependency types and the linked image functionality
used with zones, so it can't figure out how to upgrade to it.

To fix this, a backport of the new pkg software to snv_151a needs to be
done, and then made available in the repo so that you can update to the
new version of pkg on 151a before then using that to update to a release
using these new pkg features, and that wasn't done in the EA release
timeframe.
--
-Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith-QHcLZuEGTsvQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
Vano Beridze
2011-10-06 13:16:01 UTC
Post by Alan Coopersmith
Post by Ian Collins
Post by Glynn Foster
Post by Edward Martinez
[...]
Will it be free to upgrade from Solaris Express to Solaris 11?
--
Vano Beridze
Software Developer
Silk Road Group
Brian Wilson
2011-10-06 14:11:20 UTC
Post by Vano Beridze
Post by Alan Coopersmith
Post by Ian Collins
Post by Glynn Foster
Post by Edward Martinez
[...]
"Free"? I'm sorry, have you met Oracle? ;)
I apologize, that might have been too snarky. In all seriousness though
I hope someone from Oracle can answer this question accurately - IANAL
but I suspect that if you have a valid license to use Solaris Express 11
and download updates, you should have or be able to easily get a valid
license to register and use Solaris 11 and get updates (i.e. owning
Oracle hardware under support, having an OS support contract, etc etc).
Just as right now to download updates for Solaris 10 you have to have a
valid support contract with Oracle so you can log in and get them.

cheers,
Brian
Michael Kerpan
2011-10-06 17:23:57 UTC
Now that the "full" version of S11 is beginning to ship, will we
finally see the long=promised code drop of new kernel code or has
Oracle decided to permanently close off public access to post-Sun
kernel developments?
Ignacio Marambio Catán
Glynn Foster
2011-10-06 18:24:11 UTC
Post by Vano Beridze
Will it be free to upgrade from Solaris Express to Solaris 11?
So long as you are abiding by the terms and conditions of the OTN
technology license (i.e., you are using Oracle Solaris for development
and evaluation use only), then yes, you can upgrade to Oracle Solaris
11 for free, once available.

Glynn
john kroll
2011-10-06 23:59:55 UTC
Will the root password expire like solaris express 2010 ? That was a most unwelcome surprise for me and so far I have not updated with oracle kernel.
Dmitry G. Kozhinov
2011-10-06 12:50:34 UTC
More: alan_pae, you are correct. The ea version does not write to disk. I rebooted from the hung installation screen and the machine came up to the original Solaris 11 2010.11.
I have successfully installed the Sol11ea to the disk (under VirtualBox).

I think that installation is snapshot-based, and new data *was* written to disk, but changes were not committed, and new boot environment was not created (process hung), and thus you see just your previous boot environment or snapshot, and not see new data. ZFS preserves you from failed installations.

Dmitry.
Orvar Korvar
2011-10-10 18:45:36 UTC
Regarding Containers, are they sparse yet?

And as someone pointed out, S11 is coming in november.
http://www.oracle.com/webapps/events/ns/EventsDetail.jsp?p_eventId=140654&src=7255745&src=7255745&Act=27
Shawn Walker
2011-10-10 19:26:24 UTC
Post by Orvar Korvar
Regarding Containers, are they sparse yet?
And as someone pointed out, S11 is coming in november.
http://www.oracle.com/webapps/events/ns/EventsDetail.jsp?p_eventId=140654&src=7255745&src=7255745&Act=27
Solaris 11 does not support sparse zones.

My understanding is that sparse zones were an implementation artifiact
of support for diskless systems and when a split '/' and '/usr' was an
expected norm.

-Shawn
Brian Wilson
2011-10-14 13:37:33 UTC
Post by Shawn Walker
Post by Orvar Korvar
Regarding Containers, are they sparse yet?
And as someone pointed out, S11 is coming in november.
http://www.oracle.com/webapps/events/ns/EventsDetail.jsp?p_eventId=140654&src=7255745&src=7255745&Act=27
Solaris 11 does not support sparse zones.
My understanding is that sparse zones were an implementation artifiact
of support for diskless systems and when a split '/' and '/usr' was an
expected norm.
-Shawn
Just thought I'd add a note on sparse zones, not specifically the latest
Solaris 11 release. I use Solaris 10 sparse zones extensively, they've
been very handy for saving disk space (post install size of ~800 meg
versus 2-3 gig). Also, I'm fairly sure that when the same binary is
used in multiple zones (not copies of the same binary, but same actual
binary through lofs - usually under /usr), the code and static memory
pages of the binary only have one copy in memory, allowing for
considerable memory savings for things like apache running in multiple
zones. The big minus for me was patching - a huge PITA unless you're
doing live upgrade.

I've been playing with Solaris 11 express zones, and yep, no such thing
as sparse. I originally thought I'd hate not having sparse zones, but
I've found that 'pkg' packaging has so many handy features the SVR4
packaging tools didn't that I actually like working with them. Of
course, I haven't managed to try doing a major patch install or upgrade
yet, but if it's anything like how OpenIndiana works, I'm thrilled.

cheers,
Brian
Brian Wilson, Solaris SE, UW-Madison DoIT
Room 3114 CS&S 608-263-8047
bfwilson(a)doit.wisc.edu
'I try to save a life a day. Usually it's my own.' - John Crichton
William Bauer
2011-10-14 09:04:42 UTC
Here are my first impressions:

I find the comments about the font revealing. Shows who wasn't around for the early pizza box sparc workstations. This font is a throwback to the "old" Sun days, which I find peculiar for Oracle! But a nice nod to the past.

Yes, it installs--at least for me. I've tried it on three systems, including a VB guest. Installs & boots fine. zpool is at v33, ZFS v5. Have there been multiple EA releases? I think mine is v173?

It seems to recognize the new chipsets from Intel. On my Thinkpad t420s, it finally has a video driver (i915 driver), and compiz even works with this driver. It also recognizes the new e1000g chips on my t420s and my Dell Optiplex 990 at work. Doesn't recognize the wireless chip on my laptop, however. I had to plumb the laptop's e1000g manually, but it didn't complain. I think ndp somehow caused the e1000g not plumbing at boot based on an error I saw fly by.

I'm hoping more packages are added. Several things are missing. For me, a helpful tool I use a lot is "meld". Works great for network folks that deal with things like Cisco IOS configs often. meld is not in the EA release, but Palm sync is still there?

I thought NIS was absent, but it's installed by default now.

It does seem sluggish, and someone else made a comment that might agree with this as well.

Mostly I'm concerned about the packages. I hope this isn't the final collection. I wish I could remember what else I found missing, but I'm drawing a blank.

I may try running this as my desktop at work for a few days to get a better feel for it. I'll just break up my ZFS mirror, then install on one of those disks.
Ghee Teo
2011-10-14 09:53:41 UTC
Post by William Bauer
[...]
meld is in Solaris 11 but it is not installed by default. It is in the
repository.
I don't know what is your set up, on my system,

# pkg list -a | grep meld
developer/meld
1.4.0-0.175.0.0.0.0.525 ---

It shows me it is there but not installed.
If you have access to the repository, you can simply do,
# pkg install developer/meld

That will install meld for you.

-Ghee
William Bauer
2011-10-14 18:09:53 UTC
Post by Ghee Teo
meld is in Solaris 11 but it is not installed by
default. It is in the
repository.
I don't know what is your set up, on my system,
# pkg list -a | grep meld
developer/meld
1.4.0-0.175.0.0.0.0.525 ---
Yeah, it's not there for build 173. Looks like it was put back in 175. The only way to get it in 173 is to try installing an old version, which fails:

# pkg search meld
# pkg search developer/meld
INDEX ACTION VALUE PACKAGE
require depend developer/***@1.1.5.1-0.151.0.1 pkg:/***@0.1-0.151.0.1
require depend developer/***@1.1.5.1-0.133 pkg:/***@1.1.5.1-0.133

# pkg install developer/meld
Creating Plan /
pkg install: No matching version of developer/meld can be installed:
Reject: pkg://solaris/developer/***@1.1.5.1,5.11-0.151.0.1:20101105T053826Z
Reason: This version is excluded by installed incorporation pkg://solaris/consolidation/userland/userland-***@0.5.11,5.11-0.173.0.0.0.0.487:20110827T221139Z
Alan Coopersmith
2011-10-14 18:18:57 UTC
Post by William Bauer
Post by Ghee Teo
meld is in Solaris 11 but it is not installed by
default. It is in the
repository.
I don't know what is your set up, on my system,
# pkg list -a | grep meld
developer/meld
1.4.0-0.175.0.0.0.0.525 ---
# pkg search meld
# pkg search developer/meld
INDEX ACTION VALUE PACKAGE
# pkg install developer/meld
Creating Plan /
Looks like you haven't set up the 173 repo then - pkg.oracle.com only has the
packages for Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 (snv_151a). For the EA release, you
need to download and set up your own local copy of the repo to be able to
install any packages that weren't part of the base install - there is no
public repo for it.
--
-Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersmith-QHcLZuEGTsvQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
William Bauer
public repo for it.
William Bauer
2011-10-14 18:27:08 UTC
gimp isn't there either. Seems like something's happening post-173, however. Yea.
Brian Wilson
2011-10-14 13:39:48 UTC
Post by William Bauer
[...]
I've found in playing around with Express that the base OS install is
much more minimal, which I really like. I'd add that I've found it very
easy to find and install packages from the repository via 'pkg search
(name)' and then 'pkg install'.